List of Plants You Should Never Touch or Eat
We always say that every person needs to learn as much as they can about plants. Until now, people were mostly concerned about how can consuming plants make them safe, mostly focusing on the part where every good plant out there is found to be crucial for surviving in the wilderness.
But on the other hand, knowing about unsafe and toxic plants is just as important, because some of these plants can pose a serious threat, create an injury, illness and even death to animals and humans.
So this is why we believe that it is to out benefit to learn all about them, how to identify them, and how to test them for edibility, as well as be aware of plants that can poison you just with a touch or a sniff.
So far we have created a list below with the plants that we would surely appreciate if you knew a bit more about, especially watch out for those who are not that common or the ones you might think are not too dangerous.
These are not only plants that you can find in the wild, some of them are in your back yard and even in your home! Take a good look at this list.
1. Aconite or Monkshood – these are beautiful purple flowers that resemble the head covering of the monks, used in the past to murder people and wolves, and the Nazis even made bullets with this poison. By consuming this plant you will disable your nerves, lower your overall blood pressure and can stop the heart. We don’t have to mention diarrhea, vomiting and numbness.
2. Azalea – there are plenty of azalea bushes out there, and all of them look amazing in the yard, especially when spring comes. But, their leaves and the nectar rom the flower are known to be extremely toxic. The clinical signs of poisoning are weakness, vomiting, mouth burn, hyper-salivation, and headaches.the consumption of only a couple of leaves can easily lead to cardiovascular collapse as well as death.
3. Castor bean – in the 2007 edition of Guiness Book of World Record, the castor bean took the place of one of the most poisonous plant in the world. The seeds of this plant contain ricin, which is deadly, especially if you consume 4-8 of them. The poisoning with castor bean seeds will create symptoms such as nausea, muscle aches, abdominal pain, severe dehydration, purging diarrhea.
4. Daffodils – we are talking about both white as well as yellow daffodils, which are also known as narcissus or jonquils. If you try to consume their bulbs, which some people confuse for onions, you are going to experience diarrhea, vomiting and really bad cramps. These symptoms can be severe for a child.
5. Deadly nightshade – well, this one has a self explanatory name. All parts of this plant also known as belladonna, contain toxins which, if consumed, can greatly affect your nervous system. You are going to experience headaches, loss of vision, confusion, loss of balance, tachycardia and more. It is by far one of the most poisonous plants in the Western hemisphere.
6. English yew – this is one of the deadliest plants on the planet. Each part of it is highly poisonous, and the name of this plant translated from latin means toxin. It is able to cause paralysis, muscle tremors, convulsions (if digested), and it has been proven to be dangerous to even sit close to this plant on a hot summer day, because it releases gaseous toxins.
7. Ficus – most of the people tend to cultivate this plant inside their own home, so you must be well known with at least one of the 800 different species of ficuses that exist out there. Well, did you know that the milky sap found in the leaves is poisonous? It can cause inflammation as well as skin allergies.
8. Fool’s parsley – the entire plant is known to be very poisonous, and even small amounts of it, if digested, can cause pain, confusion as well as vomiting. It is known to be very similar to poison hemlock, because they look almost the same, the only difference between them is that the poison hemlock smells like carrots while the fool’s parsley does not.
9. Foxglove – if you consume the stems, flowers, seeds or leaves of this plant which grows about three inches and is frequently used for various heart conditions, it will create blurred vision, pain in the mouth, hives, disorientation, cramps and all of these issues will occur if you happen to take more than the recommended amount of the medicine made from the extract of the plant foxglove.
10. Hydrangea – because it resembles large flower pom poms, this is a plant that is also known as Hortensia or Hills of snow. All parts of this plant contain cyanogenic glycosides, meaning that if digested, it is moderately toxic. Some of the symptoms include itching, vomiting, sweating and stomach ache.
11. Jimson weed (datura) – this is a weed that is usually found on the road side, in cornfields or waste areas, and has been known to be ptentially fatally toxic, but throughout the history it has been ppopular to be used for its mind altering abilities, for an example by Cleopatra. If you consume it or inhale the odor that it spreads, you will experience a rapid heartrate, aggressive behavior, dry skin and dry mouth as well as dilated pupils, delirium and hallucinations.
12. Manchineel – this is a plant that is usually found in Central America, Florida Everglades, Carribean, and some parts of this plant are known to be very poisonous. Nothing is safe near this plant, even your car! If you leave it under this plant, the dripping toxic sap will create damage to your car paint. Every part of this plant contains toxins, meaning that you should neither touch it or be anywhere near it. The side effects are extremely bad and include itches, rashes, severe gastroenteritis, blindness, bacterial super infection and so on. If you burn the tree down and the smoke reaches your eyes, you will definitely experience blindness.
13. May apple – it is also known as the American mandrake, the may apple contains roots that are toxic, as well as leaves and fruits. They contain a non alkaloid toxin which can cause severe indigestion, diarrhea and some other signes referable to gastroenteritis. Even though some people consume the fruits when they’re ripe, we recommend that you completely avoid it.
14. Moonseed – in Pennsylvania there have been numerous child deaths reported due to moonseed poisoning. These fruits are known to be extremely toxic an fatal if consumed in larger doses or if you are not treated immediately. Consuming the moonseed can create convulsions and an immediate death.
15. Oleander – this is a plant that contains a toxin called cardenolide glycoside, making it highly toxic. Even if you inhale a burning oleander plant you will experience change in your heart rate, abdominal pain, nausea, and this is why we strongly advise you not to use the branches as firewood.
16. Poinsettia – these red plants should definitely be handled with care because the touching of the seeds or the leaves can cause allergic reactions and rashes as well as eye irritations. If consumed, this plant can cause vomiting and stomacch aches.
17. Ragwort – when you touch this plant, you can get some skin reactions or dermatitis, and if consumed, it can be especially toxic to horses. It is also toxic for humans, but because of the foul taste, you will definitely not try to consume it. Just be careful not to make tea out of it because it will do damage to your intestines and liver.
18. Rosary pea or precatory pea – these seeds are highly toxic! If you chew on them or swallow a seed, death will shortly follow. This plant is one of the most toxic ones in the entire world.
19. Trumpet vine – this one is not as toxic as some of the other plants on this list, but it is still something you need to be careful about. If you consume them, the leaves and flowers are toxic and will cause skin and gastric irritations.
20. Wistera – these vines are entirely toxic, and if consumed will cause nausea, cramps and vomiting.
21. White baneberry – because of their sedative effect, these berries can cause death, especially if you consume more than 6 of them. It will result in a cardiac arrest and immediate death.
Do not consume these plants, be near them, make tea out of them, or use them for fire. Even though some people would risk it and consume the better parts of these plants, we recommend that you avoid them altogether. You can never know how they can affect your mind and body.